Re: Market-specific production variations

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Market-specific production variations
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, jonmac wrote:

> Without invoking World War 3, how about the North American market of years
> back when all cars shipped there had to have totally different rear end
> electrics to everywhere else. This was so that the stop lights became
> indicators and the separate indicators (that were OK for the rest of the
> world with red or yellow lenses) were banned in the US - and possibly Canada
> too.

Actually, John, we got over that separate indicator thing sometime in the
mid-1950s. But we still can't seem to uniformly accept the idea of amber
turn signals, or even separate bulbs for same, on all the stuff we
produce. And, of course, we also weren't heavily into amber front turn
indicator lamps here until 1963 on our own cars. But when we allowed them
on Chevies and Fords, we still couldn't accept them on British imports
until about 1968 or so.

Must've been some Revolutionary thing, huh? :-)

--Andy