Re: Wire Wheels

To: Ken C <KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:50:59 -0700

Ken C wrote:

> Fellow Spitfire listers,
>
> The '72 Spitfire I'm rebuilding came with 5 wire wheels, not the knock-off
> kind, these are direct bolt-on types. I think they were an option for a very
> short period of time, that's question one. Was there such an option ?

Yes, they were offered on both the Spitfire and GT6's

> Question two, are they worth rebuilding ?  No broken spokes, but after
> removing the tires and looking inside, there is rust on the nipples. The
> exteriors just need a little sand blasting and paint, but I would like to
> replace a bunch of nipples, and probably some spokes.

If the rims are straight, they probably are worth rebuilding.

> Which leads to question three, where do you get nipples and spokes ?

I would try the major suppliers and if not successful, there are
probably specialty stores that specialize in wore wheel parts.

Good Luck,
Joe Curry
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer