Re: Wire Wheels

To: KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:41:18 EDT
Hi Ken,
Not too many people know about these wire wheels.  They were available from
71-74 on Spitfires, up to about FM 10,000 and 71-73 on GT6's.  They have a
special center hub that says "SPITFIRE" or LEYLAND.  The Leyland type were
only available on late 73 and 74's.  I haven't started working on mine yet,
but I only have one broken spoke.  If your wheels are in pretty good shape I
wouldn't try replacing the nipples -- just sandblast, prime, silver paint,
and some good clear coat especially made for wheels.  It's been my experience
with Jaguar wires that you need to have someone knowledgeable with WW to
install the tubes and balance.  A novice can easily pinch the tube when
mounting the tires and you'll get a very slow leak.  Also, replace the old
tubes if they are more than a couple years old, and have the wheel weights
placed on the back side of the rim.
Bill Brockschmidt
     By the way, if you have any extra of those special hubs, I'd love to buy
them from you, I only have 3.