Re: Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank

To: Bruce Hestand <hestand@ultranet.com>
Subject: Re: Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:49:08 -0700
Bruce,
As easy is it is to remove the tank from a Spit coupled with the fact
that the later models had all the openings at the top, I would suggest
removing the tank to empty it.  Then you can take it to your local
radiator shop and have it cleaned there.  It can't cost anywhere near
the $70 you mention.

The assembly in your tank is probably the piece that prevents the leaded
fillers from fitting into your filler.  Prior to the advent of unleaded
fuels, the filler wad a straight shot into the tank.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Bruce Hestand wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This seems incredibly stupid, but I'm having questions about draining a gas
> tank...
>
> I'm beginning restoration on an '80 Spit that's been sitting with a half
> tank of gas for 15 years so it
> seems like a good idea to drain the tank and flush it out.
>
> The Bentley manual says "siphon tank".  When I pulled the filler off the
> tank to put a
> siphon hose in I hit a stop point higher than the apparent bottom of the
> tank.  I siphoned off
> what I could get.  Looking inside the filler neck I see an inverted cone
> with a pool
> the diameter of a dime at the bottom.  The sides of the cone are lined with
> rust.
>
> Q1) What's with the inverted cone?  Is this natural or one spooky rust out?
> Q2) Is there a need, and a method, to get more gas out before attempting
> tank removal?
>      I only took out a gallon or so, and the gauge has always read empty but
> does it work?
>     I could try something like tapping a line to the output side of the
> mechanical fuel pump
>     and cranking the engine (pull coil wire first) to push fuel out but this
> seems sub-optimal.
> Q3)  I've seens solutions for DIY gas tank cleaning/restoring.  Is this a
> reasonable DIY or
>    better off to pay to have it done?  The chemicals don't seem to run
> around $70, what's
>    the cost to have it done (and not have to deal with the chemical
> mess/disposal yourself).
>    The tank doesn't appear as if it will need any welding/brazing.
>
> Input would be very much appreciated.
>
> Bruce Hestand
> '80 Spitfire - Chelmsford, Ma.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer