Re: Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank

To: "Bruce Hestand" <hestand@ultranet.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 11:11:00 -0400
At 01:09 AM 5/16/99 -0400, Bruce Hestand wrote:
>I'm beginning restoration on an '80 Spit that's been sitting with a half
>tank of gas for 15 years so it
>seems like a good idea to drain the tank and flush it out.

I agree.  Change all those old rubber fuel lines, too.

>Q1) What's with the inverted cone?  Is this natural or one spooky rust out?

As Joe said, that was the unleaded fuel nozzle restrictor.

>Q2) Is there a need, and a method, to get more gas out before attempting
>tank removal?

All the holes are at the top of the tank, so it is easy to remove from the
car without spilling any gas. The more gas you remove the lighter it will
be, but you don't have to kill yourself to remove the last ounce.

>     I only took out a gallon or so, and the gauge has always read empty but
>does it work?

More than likely the sender float has filled with gas and has 'sunk'.  You
can check the sender, once removed, with an Ohmmeter. New floats are
available in the US for $7 -10.

>    I could try something like tapping a line to the output side of the
>mechanical fuel pump
>    and cranking the engine (pull coil wire first) to push fuel out but this
>seems sub-optimal.

Don't bother.

>Q3)  I've seens solutions for DIY gas tank cleaning/restoring.  Is this a
>reasonable DIY or
>   better off to pay to have it done?  The chemicals don't seem to run
>around $70, what's
>   the cost to have it done (and not have to deal with the chemical
>mess/disposal yourself).
>   The tank doesn't appear as if it will need any welding/brazing.

There are differing schools of thought on cleaning or sealing the inside of
the tank. If you have $$$, get it professionally cleaned, tested, and
repaired.

Some people swear by the sealer/coater products available from the usual
Britpart vendors.  Others have seen problems caused by the stuff flaking
off after a while.  YMMV.

If you are on a budget, remove the tank, then remove the sender.  Put a
handfull of glass marbles in the tank and shake vigorously.  Then rinse the
flakey stuff out of the tank, let dry, and reinstall.   My '79's was fine
after this procedure.  (We are lucky because the US-spec pressure-sealed
tanks resist rust-inducing moisture accumulation.)

Good Luck.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."