Re: Power struggles

To: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Subject: Re: Power struggles
From: "Dr. Faustus" <faustus@inconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 07:49:35 -0600 (MDT)
I first must thank everyone for the suggestions.

Last night I decided to check the state of mixture on my carb.  I soon as
I touched the piston the engine nearly died.  An obvious lean mixture.
Since I don't own the proper adjustment tool, I drove the car over to
someone I know did.  He's a retire british car mechanic who I live near.
He's still considered THE man to ask in the area if you have a problem
with a 50's-70's british/italian/french/german car (Or need a rare part,
ever seen a camshaft for a 2.5 litre daimler v-8?).  Not only did he lend
me the tool, but he adjusted the carb for me too.  It was about one and a
half turns too lean.  I hit 75 MPH on the way to work this morning, then
the same thing happened.  That's a 20 MPH gain, and good enough for now.

He also told me the four most likely causes of the problem, in this order.

1. Clogged fuel filter
2. Incorrect float level
3. Mixture too lean
4. Bad fuel pump (Or worn)

That assumes that the engine is in good shape and that you have the
correct parts on the car.

Andy L.
'70 Spit