Re: Running real rough

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Running real rough
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:58:15 EDT
I'll catch you both, first - James,
exactly what is swarf?

>You might wan't to replace your big end bearings whist your there, and
>also it's a good idea to have a look for swarf in the oil.  That is a
>bad sign.
>James Carpenter

Then Joe,

No, I did not measure the pushrod travel.  But when I found the push rod
unconnected I looked at the rocker arm adjustment and found the locknut was
very loose.  It is pretty apparent that the DPO did not tighten it enough when
he adjusted the valve clearances last.  I think that was what started this
whole mess.  When the rod came off, the exhaust valve failed to open any more.
The extra pressure with no relief through the exhaust probably caused the
rings to go allowing oil into the cylinder.  With oil in the cylinder the only
way out was through the intake valve and directly into the carb.  And, there
is still the possibility of a burned intake valve.

Thanks a lot, both of you.  You probably saved me many hours of head
scratching.  I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this instead of
poking in the dark.  I love this list.

>One other possibility is the cam lobe might be
>damaged which may have dislodged the pushrod in the first place.  Did
>you measure the pushrod travel on that cylinder after reassembling it?
>
>Regards,
>
>Joe

David Gates
1973 Spitfire 1500