Re: Running real rough

To: GatesDavid@aol.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Running real rough
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:33:02
David, I have had a very similar problem and here goes.  I have a 1500 with
a Weber DGAV carb, there are no emmissions left on my car and since your
hose runs straight to the carb I assume you do not either.  My symptoms
were the same, the carb was soaked with oil, I couldn't figure out why.  I
changed the entire engine out (I just happened to have a really great
engine and due to some other reasons I changed them)  When I did the
problem stopped, except for a very, and I do mean very light trace of oil
(enough to create a small rainbow on the chrome filter cover) being blown
into the carb.  After a little bit of research and talking to folks I
concluded that on my old engine I must of had some pretty serious blow by
on the valve guides and seals and this was blowing straight through to the
carb.  This sounds like a mirror image of my problem.  Looks to me that the
best answer is to fix those or at that point it is just as easy to do a
whole valve job.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire