Re: cooling and oil mods?

To: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling and oil mods?
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:35:39 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The rear tappets can suffer from oil starvation in a high-mileage engine at
idle as they are all fed from the front, possibly the back bearings too, so
with big clearances all round there will be precious little pressure or flow
left for the back ones, you can get pressures down to 10psi or lower at hot
idle, and that is right at the pump.  It can't be that big a deal, these
engines are extremely robust and can do huge mileages.  Regular oil and
filter changes i.e. every 3k using a pre-change flushing treatment is the
key.

PaulH.