Who's who

To: "datsun roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Who's who
From: "aaron atkins" <amatkins@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:46:49 -0700
    Aaron Atkins here.  And as I haven't sold my car (don't really want to),
and won't stop subscribing to the list, I better add my bit.  I am a 32 year
old college student.  After graduating high school in '89 I went straight
into the U.S. Navy.  I wasn't an airdale or blue water sailor though.  I was
a Seabee (BU5).  Spent three and a half years living in Hawaii on Uncle
Sam's dollar.  My next hitch was at home in Port Hueneme, CA, teaching
combat skills courses.  I met my lovely wife, who is a 2nd grade teacher,
shortly after leaving Hawaii and we've now been married uuumm (head
scratching/finger counting) 8 years. Also have a lovely daughter of 6 years
old going on 18.  Anyway, got out of the Navy to become a Railroad Track
Welder for BNSF for about 4 years.  If you haven't welded track in the
desert in mid-August you just don't know what you're missing.  This all lead
to me finally going to school.  I'm studying to become a teacher of young
minds in the subjects of English and Classic Literature.  Don't ask me why,
but I'm that guy that actually likes reading the really old stuff and then
talking about it.  I even aspire to some day writing something of my own.  I
also spend five nights a week working at our local YMCA as a youth coach.
My daughter was doing gymnastics, and I got roped into helping and just have
never gotten out. I coach co-ed basketball, and an excellent girls
gymnastics club (national caliber).
    On to the car thing.  I grew up with a father that just couldn't leave
things alone, and ended up with the same affliction.  In fifteen years of
driving I've owned 25 cars and 18 motorcycles.  It all started with a
lowered '66 V.W. Squareback.  Some of the highlights would be '66 Chevy
Nova, '70 Chevy Blazer, '66 Caprice, '66 Triumph Bonneville, and a lovely
time/money consuming '72 Yamaha RD350 full race bike with lights and a
plate.  My father actually owned a PL510 when I was a kid, and this got me
into my Roadster.  I wanted something fun, couldn't find a 510, and ended up
finding the ultimate car for the fun:dollar ratio.  My Roadster is a fairly
nice '67 1600.  I brought it out of moth-balls and saved it from being
parted out.  The list was a big help with all of this. My other current
project is a '62 Chevy shortbed stepside with a 194 I6.  It is lowered in
black primer with red wheels, and will some day see a 4" chop job, flame
throwers, dummy spots, 4" wide billboard whitewalls, and the full
Offenhauser set-up for an I6.  My biggest problem is not my addiction to all
things motor. It's the fact that no matter what I do, I can't keep any two
cars running at the same time.

Aaron Atkins
Phelan,CA
'67 1600