Solex that doesn't suck

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solex that doesn't suck
From: "linob" <lino.baggio@idxcorporation.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:19:00 -0400
Hi All,
I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this rather frustrating
situation, I'll try to be brief:
I have a U20 with old style solex's, I was originally having trouble with a
compression loss in cylinder #4, trouble shooting lead to trouble in the
head, pulled the head, had everything freshened up by a competent machinist
with experience with these motors, head is now OK, but still having
difficulties with #4 cylinder.  I switched carbs front to back, and now have
trouble with #2 cylinder, which isolates trouble with that carb. It doesn't
seem to flow as much air as the other carb - my airflow meter confirms this.
I've checked, cleaned all the jets, gaskets, venturies,ect and still can't
seem to get an improvement in airflow. I can easily get everything to idle
properly and have followed the manual for proper balancing, which I can get
it to do by over adjusting the one carb, but pulling the spark plug wire at
#2 cylinder doesn't make a difference in engine performance. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...