Re: It's alive! alive!

To: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net>, Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: It's alive! alive!
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:44:32 -0800 (PST)
I only half-understand where it is on the U20, never having worked on
one.  I believe the temp sending unit is on the thermostat neck (?)
bolted to the head, which has a gasket between it and the head.  On the
R16 it screws directly into the head.  Why they didn't do this on the
U20 head, I don't know.

Never having driven a 2000, I can't say I'm envious, although I would
like another forward gear.  It's confusing enough remembering which
side of the steering column the turn signals are on - pre-68 envy,
maybe?

Oh, and I've learned not to get too worked up about anything on the
list.

Adam Bradley
Got those "go really fast" Fairlady emblems today

--- Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net> wrote:
> Are you guys trying to cure list members of offering advice? Not
> knowing whether
> Marc's Roadster is an R16- or  U20-powered model, I tossed out what I
> thought
> might be a helpful bit of advice - AND I qualified my statement as to
> potential
> differences between the two engines. My Roadster knowledge is not
> encyclopedic -
> I only have the one, and it's a '70 2000, so I am not cognizant of
> all of the
> "well-known differences in engine layout". Paul's reply enlightened
> me as to one
> difference between the 2 engine types (though the U-20's sending unit
> is not
> installed directly in the cylinder head proper, it is in the neck
> that's bolted
> to the head - at least in the '70), Adam's comment was smart-alecky
> but a
> harmless joke (U20 envy, maybe?) - and I can't figure out what
> contribution to
> the discussion Stan thought he was making.
>
> I'm about half-sorry I tried to help.
>
> Gary McCormick
> San Jose, CA
Find a job, post your resume.