Elan fitness for daily use

To: Gene_Carter@avid.com
Subject: Elan fitness for daily use
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 01:13:57 -0700
Gene Carter asked:
> I have a Miata as a daily driver and a Super 7 for vintage racing.
> I'm considering buying an Elan as a street car.  Would the Elan
> be a fair weather car or is it reliable enough to be driven regularly?
> My job takes me out of town most of the time (airline trips) so I only
> drive to the office occasionally.

Just like any Lotus (you probably know this, from your 7) it may be
reliable or not, depending on how closely you pay attention to its
idiosyncrasies.  Things that must be looked after carefully include
the oil level (twinks do tend to use some oil) the water pump, the
starter, the differential mountings, the donuts, etc. etc.  If you
have been racing your 7, you certainly have the basic mechanical
ability to maintain an Elan such that it will be a reliable runner.

I commuted in a '67 Elan (S3, soft top) on a daily basis, for
several years.  Though it is true that I had to fix it out on the
road a couple times, I don't recall ever having to get it towed.
This is something I can not say for some other cars I have owned!

Weather protection on a soft top Elan is not up to the standards
of a Miata, but it is probably better than a 7.  I don't think I
would have wanted to drive my '67 in *serious* winter weather, but
I definitely did not consider it a fair weather car.  With a top
that was well fitted and in good condition, I drove it in the rain
regularly, and felt reasonably comfortable doing it.

The type 26 cars have different side windows, and a different top.
I have never driven one of these earlier cars on the road, for any
period of time (I'm planning to now, since I have acquired one that
is a runner!) so I have to disqualify my opinion, about the weather
protection of the S1 and S2 Elans.

What do any other people here have to say about this?

Regards,
Erik Berg