Re: Tips for a first restoration

To: FJMandPMM@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tips for a first restoration
From: rothman@sweng.stortek.com (Dave Rothman)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 07:11:45 MST
> From british-cars-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu Mon Jan 30 17:19:15 1995
> From: FJMandPMM@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 18:57:26 -0500
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Tips for a first restoration
> Sender: owner-british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
> Hi I'm just starting my first restoration, I'm only 18 and my funds are real
> limited..I bought a 71 Midget and am planning to start as soon as the sun
> comes back out.
>
> If anyone has any general tips for me about procedure or parts availibility I
> would greatly appreciate that..I'm just sort of feeling my way around in the
> dark...
>
> Thanks for all help

In your situation, ( I have been there since I did my first, a
'59 JAG Sedan 3.4L when I was 16 in '73)), it is best to get a good feel
for each of the major systems in your vehicle (engine and driveline,
fuel, braking, ignition, wiring, frame/strcutural, body) and make
a list of things wrong along with the severity for your intended
purpose. I assume you NEED a daily driver.

'69 MGC/GT

Brakes - priority 1
  Component           Condition/Fix method           Cost
  --------------      -----------------------       -------
  Brake lines     -    replace (copper ? ha!)        $150
  Slave cylinders -    rebuild                         36
  Calipers        -    rebuild                         30
  Master cylinder -
  Pads front      -    etc.....
  Shoes rear      -
  Discs front     -
  Drums rear      -

  Total component estimate ------------------------> $ 400

Get a VICTORIA BRITISH Catalog (I don't have the number at work
but I will try to remember to bring it in). They are very quick
and cover MG's very well.

Good luck, have fun wish I was 18 again