Re: Tips for a first restoration

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tips for a first restoration
From: KNOWLESB@delphi.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 23:33:09 -0500 (EST)
Dear list:

Recently I came across a '67 Jag 420 abandoned under a tarp for the last 8-10
years, and gave it a new home.

 In addition to the usual stuff you'd expect, the car had at some time in the
past been fitted with a couple of 1 1/2" Stromberg (non-smog) CDs.  After a bit
of bother, I got a proper set of HD8s mounted, with proper linkage and air
cleaners, and got the car smogged (I'm in California), no problem, it passed
the first try. with 198 PPM hydrocarbons of 500 PPM allowed.  Well enough, but
I'd just had my '69 Alfa 1750 smogged, and it too passed, with  300 PPM of 700
PPM allowed.  My question is why a '67 4.2 litre engine is only allowed 500 PPM
when a '69 1.8 engine, with fuel injection even, is allowed 700 PPM.  Seems
backward to me, anybody got any ideas?

This car was fitted with black California plates, BTW, which DMV refuses to
renew, says their trying to pull all the old black plates in.They'll issue new
plates, but won't renew the old ones.  When asked why, they emit envirobabble,
which, as I'm sure we all know, means "shut up and give me the money".

Regards:

Brian Knowles
knowlesb@delphi.com
'74 Lotus
'67 Jaguar
and some old Alfas,  when actual transportation is needed.