Re: Body solder

To: sbender@illiad.dsd.ES.COM
Subject: Re: Body solder
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 19:17:18 -0800 (PST)
> On Wed, 21 Dec 1994, Michael Sharp wrote:
>
> > I'm in the midst of a restoration project and I'm considering using body
>solder
> > (now that I've finished a lot of hammer/dolly work).  Have any of you ever

**** Have you ever noticed how bondo cans always say
     ``Light-weight Body Filler''
          or somesuch?

   Body solder is *heavy*.  If you use a lot of it, you increase the weight
        of the car.  This makes it slower, and makes it handle worse.  Bad
        in every way.

        A friend of mine worked as a quality inspector in an aerospace
electronics
        firm.  Among other things, he inspected for ``NASA-Spec solder joints''.
        These were joints with a minimum of solder.  Apparently, the weight of
        thousands of solder joints can add up, and its expensive to throw
        excess weight into orbit....

                                              - Jerry Kaidor