better lube

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: better lube
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 15:41:36 -31802 (PST)
Dear netters,
        A few summers ago, I worked on a Formula Atlantic race crew.
One day, I was changing the oil and I spilled some on my hand.  I tried
to wipe it off with a cloth but to my amazement, even after a good
scrubbing, there was a thin film of oil that remained behind.  (still
comes in handy occasionally).
This wetting ability impressed me, and I thought, "I'd like to run this
stuff in my car". It was Redline Synthetic 30 wt.
        So I prepared myself by reading the fine papers that were put out
here a few months ago describing both solid oil additives (Slick 50), and
Synthetic oils.  I found the papers to be most informative and decided
that I would not use an oil additive, but that I'd certainly like to try
a Synthetic oil.
        I've asked professors here at the University, but they don't
really know much about it.  I've asked local auto shops, but their
answers seem to be based on hearsay and also seem to be weighted fairly
heavily with anti-new-stuff biases.  I had one bloke today tell me that
Synthetic doesn't allow new rings to seat properly (which I knew), and a
few sentences later say "if this stuff is so great, how come new cars
don't come with it?"     Some people.
        So anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to try some in the Jaguar all
aluminum V-12, which has around 90 kmiles on it currently.  The only oil
leak it has is a small one at the rear left cam cover, which I have been
too busy to change, (the tranny and alternator taking priority).  At 12
quarts to the fill-up, (that's sump capacity, not blow-by oil usage), I'd
like to be able to leave the oil in for awhile, and change filters every
few thou.
        Without starting a Flame On Synthetics/ Flame on Dinosaur Juice
war, if some of you have experience/opinions about synthetic oil, I'd
like to listen.

        Thanks in advance.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6