Re: better lube

To: cak@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: better lube
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 10:35:11 PST

Chris K writes:

> The GT6+ is my autocrosser, so it sees severe duty. After 4000 miles
> with the Mobil 1, it has started leaking at the front seal. This is not
> uncommon with synthetics in older engines - they clean away the gunk
> that has been deposited in the seals and then find their way through
> the smaller cracks. I'll be replacing the seal soon.

About a year ago I replaced the oil in my Cobra's transmission,
differential and steering rack box with Redline synthetic gear oil.
Within a few months the diff and rack started leaking.  On an older car
with seals and gaskets that aren't leaking I would stick with petroleum
based oils unless you don't mind the mess and keeping the oil topped
off.

Roland