Re: better lube

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: better lube
From: mike_israel@Merck.Com (Mike Israel)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 94 18:47:00 EST
I've been using Mobil 1 in all my vehicles (new and used) for a number of
years and have never had an engine problem despite running them well over
100k.

I once had a Fiat X/19 (ok, so I was young and dumb).  At around 75k it
needed a new head gasket.  Everything was so clean that the mechanic refused
to believe that the engine had not been recently rebuilt.

I do not know if it is related but I also run Mobil 1 in my diesel (second
one) and have never had a cold start problem.

Regards,

               mike_israel@merck.com

86 XJ6
77 Spitfire
81 Diesel rabbit
=====================================
Dear netters,
        A few summers ago, I worked on a Formula Atlantic race crew.
      **stuff deleted**
but that I'd certainly like to try a Synthetic oil.
     **stuff deleted**
 "if this stuff is so great, how come new cars don't come with it?"

        So anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to try some in the Jaguar all
aluminum V-12, which has around 90k miles on it currently.
     **stuff deleted**
 At 12 quarts to the fill-up, I'd like to be able to leave the oil in for
awhile, and change filters every few thou.
        Without starting a Flame On Synthetics/ Flame on Dinosaur Juice
war, if some of you have experience/opinions about synthetic oil, I'd
like to listen.

        Thanks in advance.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6