Re: GT6 is hot

Subject: Re: GT6 is hot
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 10:28:52 PDT
Marcus, you've already received much good advice from other GT6 owners on
the list. GT6s are much like wide-mouth TR3s in that optimal cooling
comes in part from air being properly directed TO the radiator and not
just somewhere under the hood. The original shrouding (or some reasonably
faithful substitute) will help a lot in getting the air to the right place.

Also: flushing undoubtedly will help a lot. I won't enter the debate on
chemical flushing, garden hose flushing, pressure flushing, backflushing,
etc. BUT I will offer one seemingly too-simple (but oft-ignored)
suggestion. When you're draining the block, don't just accept whatever
comes out of the hole (or tap if your block has one) as your flush. Take
some sort of probe (stiff wire or the like) and make sure that passage is
clean. Odds are it will be filled with gunk and, at some point, the
trickle of coolant will become a gusher! BTW, do this first, before the
chemical or other flush!

This has worked for me on my GT6+ and on my 216.5 ci.  '51 Chevy -- each
time resulting in temps about 20-30 deg. cooler (at least as shown on the
temp. gauge).

Andy Mace
KC715121L: an early 1970 GT6+ and certainly the oldest one in Hoag's
Corners, NY