Re: Questions

To: bishel@lobby.ti.com, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Questions
From: bownes@aule-tek.com (Robert M. Bownes III)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 19:21:32 +0500
->> I've heard that brake line fittings on some LBC's are odd (for US) - maybe
->> Whitworth threads?  Can I buy the fittings readily in the US and make the
->

What is different is that the Brits tend to use "Bubble" or more
properly "Double" flares on the ends of the lines. Prefab brake line
that you find on the shelf in the US is usually "Single flare". For a
better description, here's the metaphorical 1k words:

        Double Flare Brake line          Single Flare Brake line

        /\                                 \
       /  \                                 \
           -------                           ----------

           -------                           ----------
       \  /                                 /
        \/                                 /

In short, it is the shape of the end of the brake line, not the threads
or nut sizes. I have converted my race car (64 Spit) over to all single
flare by the use of the proper AN adaptor at all the junctions. It's
expensive ($5 per fitting * N fittings, where N is ~10) but well worth
it, because I can now *make* brake lines up to whatever length I like
using a simple single flare tool. I recently aquired the tool, however,
to make the Double flares for the rest of the collection. But making
Double flares is a Major Pain In The Butt. Finding them @ the store can
be done, but they're not common. Finding the tool is easy, call Snap-On
and spend $60.00.

Why did they use double flares? It's cheaper. You can machine all your
fittings with a simple drill bit, and a machine to double flare is easy
as well.

->How does the list feel about the kits with copper brake lines that can be
->bought?  My mechanic did not like the idea of copper, but lots of brits
->seem to use them, and they would be a lot easier than bending all that steel.
->Our thumbs took days to get over it.
->

I feel Bad about Copper. But I'm a tough driver. On a once-in-a-while
car, maybe. On a daily driver that is subject to alot of vibration and
stress, no way. On a race car subject to high temperature, abuse and
vibration, not on my life.

iii