ford 1340 motor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: ford 1340 motor
From: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 21:30:15 +0900
In-reply-to:jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)

1) Can I get a cross-flow head for this motor, or do the xflow heads
only fit on the 1500 and 1600 cc blocks (indeed, are the blocks any
different at all, or are the larger displacement motors just bored
and stroked)?

   They are all different blocks.
   But it may be possible to swap their heads,
   if you would chose a proper crank and grind the top of the
   block to get reasonable compression.

2) Is this a 3 or 5 bearing motor (or did they make both)?

   Maybe 3 until early 1500 motor.(I will check)

3) What repair manual would detail this motor?  I know they were
also used in Morgan 4/4's.  I believe the 1500 motor is used in
the Cortina.  Is there a Morgan Haynes manual or anything else that
would give me some good info?

   1340cc may be used for standard Cortinas.(again I will check)
   Countless of backyard built cars were powered by that type of engine.
   I think the work shop mannual of Lotus 7 describes
   how to maintain all the Ford block from 1100 to 1600.

4) Are the Dell'orto's going to be too much carb for this motor
without a cross-flow head?

   No. They were often weberized for circuit use.

5) I've got a mechanical clutch cable and a bunch of hardware for
hydraulics.  Which is better for racing (and just how much pressure is
a mechanical clutch going to require)?

   Cable may be advantageous for the system must be simpler and less heavy.
   But the cables suffer from being kinked and snap out easily
   if it would be ill designed as the Caterhams in '80s.

All this stuff goes in a '65 Ginetta G4 (approx 900 lbs).

   It sounds exciting! Keep posting your preparation onward!

   Kazuhiro IGETA
   NTT BRL