Re: nothing much . . .

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: nothing much . . .
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 24 Dec 1992 11:38 EST
>Concentrate first on getting your car on the road, not concours.  My
>snake sat in the garage for about ten years while I put off starting a
>ground-up restoration.  It was only after a complete brake failure made
>the car undrivable that I discovered the wisdom of this approach.  At
>that point I decided that the time had come so I started ordering parts
>and began restoring pieces related to the brake rebuild.  $1000 worth
>brake parts and a year later I realized what a mammoth and expensive
>undertaking a complete restoration was going to be.  Life is too short
>and, if you're like me, you have lots of other commitments, timewise,
>that can't be ignored.  Getting my car back on the road has been the
>most effective incentive I've had since I first starting thinking about
>restoration.  You'll have the pleasure of driving your in the meantime,
>yet have a constant reminder of things that need to be done.  Your
>priority list will evolve naturally.  Don't get caught up in
>shipwright's disease or you'll be discouraged to the point of giving up.
>There's nothing wrong with disassembling again later to take care of
>things you would like to have done the first time around that weren't
>show stoppers.
>
>Hang in there!
>
>Roland Dudley

Excellent advice and I might add that there have been too many folks
that start the ground-up restoration project on a usable/drivable
car and end up several years later selling it as a "basket case."
If it is usable/drivable when you first get it, then do so and you
just might be more than happy doing repairs and restorations on the
vehicle one section at a time while getting all the joys of ownership
AND use.

Cheers,

Bill