Re: nothing much . . .

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: nothing much . . .
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 92 11:16:08 pst
Concentrate first on getting your car on the road, not concours.  My
snake sat in the garage for about ten years while I put off starting a
ground-up restoration.  It was only after a complete brake failure made
the car undrivable that I discovered the wisdom of this approach.  At
that point I decided that the time had come so I started ordering parts
and began restoring pieces related to the brake rebuild.  $1000 worth
brake parts and a year later I realized what a mammoth and expensive
undertaking a complete restoration was going to be.  Life is too short
and, if you're like me, you have lots of other commitments, timewise,
that can't be ignored.  Getting my car back on the road has been the
most effective incentive I've had since I first starting thinking about
restoration.  You'll have the pleasure of driving your in the meantime,
yet have a constant reminder of things that need to be done.  Your
priority list will evolve naturally.  Don't get caught up in
shipwright's disease or you'll be discouraged to the point of giving up.
There's nothing wrong with disassembling again later to take care of
things you would like to have done the first time around that weren't
show stoppers.

Hang in there!

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com