Re: Auto/manual Choke and Sealant

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto/manual Choke and Sealant
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1992 15:47:22 CDT
Don Mathis (tdm@akguc.att.com) writes:
>     I have never been told the precise technical method of operating a
> choke other than pull it out when you start and push it in at some later
> time before the engine runs too rich and carbons up the plugs. As a proper
> English gentleman and a driver well versed in this art, how the hell do you
> do it?    :*)

Uh, I'm British and I drive; hopefully two out of three above will qualify
me to answer. :-)

My Austin was happiest with the following procedure:

1) Pull choke out all the way (pull out until resistance was noted...)

2) If extremely cold, wait 30 seconds for electric carb heater to warm.

3) Start engine; it would fire immediately.

4) Promptly push choke in approximately halfway. Beyond halfway it would
   sputter and threaten to die.

5) Drive off normally. When engine is noted to be racing enthusiastically
   in neutral (about 2-3 minutes later), push in choke the rest of the way.

-- Andy