Re: Auto/manual Choke

To: akguc!tdm@akgua.att.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto/manual Choke
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 92 15:19:18 EDT
Don Mathis writes:

>      I have never been told the precise technical method of operating a
> choke other than pull it out when you start and push it in at some later
> time before the engine runs too rich and carbons up the plugs. As a proper
> English gentleman and a driver well versed in this art, how the hell do you
> do it?    :*)    Thanks-

I'm not sure that there really is a precise method - I think it's just one of
personal things between you and your LBC that is gained through experience.
After I restored my Midget in the UK, I ran it every day for about a year
as my normal transport to work - about an 8 mile journey. As you can imagine
there were many cold, damp and misty mornings which gave me plenty of
experience in choke handling. You also get used to the local terrain - I
used to start my journey going up a 1/2 mile 1 in 8 gradient and would put my
right hand on the steering wheel and my left hand on the choke pull
(interrupted
by quick gear changes) - I would adjust the choke to requirements - I never
pulled it out more than necessary. I'm not sure if this really makes any
difference whatsoever - it just gives you another funky thing to play with
along the way. That's probably the real reason I want a manual choke on my
MGB - it's just too easy/boring without it. I think most LBC owners feel that
they really want to make some physical input into the car's performance,
whether it be double declutching, flicking the overdrive in and out,
heel and toe gear changing, additional manual flapping power (as recently
demonstrated to me by Scott Paisley) or merely pulling on the choke. None
of this really makes much difference in the long run, but at least it feels
like you're doing the driving (or flying).

Paul.