Auto/manual Choke and Sealant

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Auto/manual Choke and Sealant
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 92 09:19:27 EDT
Hi SOLers,

        One of the main things I really dislike about my recently purchased
MGB is the automatic choke. When I start it in the morning, it seems to have
a very delayed reaction - spluttering for about 15-20 seconds before suddenly
bursting into song. Is this normal for the auto-choke, or can I improve this
performance? I really miss the arrangement on my UK Midget - being able to
pull the choke right out of the dash and getting a perfect start even on
chilly mornings. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has
converted the auto-choke to manual - I noticed that the Roaster Factory do
a manual unit for about $60. Has anybody had pronounced improvement using
this piece of kit?

        Ooh - and one more query - my windscreen appears to be leeking in the
corner - where the rubber appears to have perrished. I know my Dad had a
similar problem with his Triumph 2000 and managed to find a sealer product
which was very liquid until set - he would just trickle it into the seam
between the glass and the rubber surround and had a perfect cure. I know I
should really replace the rubber, but I know it's not a trivial job. Does
anybody have knowledge of a similar sealer product in the US? - otherwise I
shall have to request and shipment from across the Pond.

        Thanks,

        Paul.