Re: Dash for bug-eye

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash for bug-eye
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1993 12:02:58 CST
This discussion of dashboards reminds me of one of the things that has long
interested me about the dash design in general of LBCs compared to American
ones. Specifically, the LBC is much more casual about how the dash is to be
arranged and what the controls will look like. Uncle's '49 Alvis TD drophead
is a marvel of optional equipment (roughly 6 big lights on the front end, for
example), but I challenge anyone to figure out which of the multitude of knobs
on the dash operates it all. Some are helpfully labeled with informative terms
such as "L", "S", or (our favorite) "F". Most are blank. All are identical, a
nice ivory color, symmetrically arranged in the center of the dash.

Consider also the engineering that goes into these applications. Suppose, for
example, that a switch is to be installed for some optional factory-fitted
driving lights. The Americans will do it thusly:

1) Manufacture moulds to create accessory switch panel for this switch, as an
   alternative to the blank filler panel fitted to cars without this option.
2) Produce alternative dash wiring harness with circuit and molded connector
   for this switch, as alternative to wiring harness fitted to cars without
   this option.
3) Engineer special backlighting assembly to illuminate switch label using
   power from dash backlighting circuit.
4) Carefully select proper backlighting bulb for illumination and add it to
   list of light bulb specifications in Owner's Manual
5) Engineer special switch especially for this circuit, complete with little
   internal light bulb to illuminate a little lamp symbol whenever driving
   lights are on.
6) Generate reams of paperwork in service manual showing how to troubleshoot
   switch and replace light bulb, accompanied by diagrams showing how to route
   wires behind dashboard.

The British will take this approach:

1) Drill hole in dashboard
2) Insert switch, with knob labeled "D" (for "Driving light")

Americans follow up:                      British follow up:

1) NHTSA receives reports that wiring     1) Drivers notice that switch
   tends to melt and cause fires.            seems to do nothing.
2) Massive recall results; dealers        2) Drivers discover that wire
   charge owners $300 to fix anyway.         (Puce color with mauve stripe)
3) Several lawsuits are filed, and           keeps falling off.
   "60 Minutes" does expose' revealing    3) Several E-mail postings appear
   that company memos show they knew         from LBC owners wondering what
   about the problem all along.              color Puce looks like.

-- Andy