Re: Engine and gearbox vibration/noise

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox vibration/noise
From: "DSTONE, 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1991 09:30 PST
Subj:   Replacing Spridget driveshaft

On Oct 10,  8:36am, Philip J Ethier wrote:

} driveshaft above axle and pull it out.  Now try to put it back in!  Factory
} book said the guy at the rear does the work, the guy at the front just lines
} it up with a screwdriver through the dime-sized hole for greasing the U-joint.
} Right.  Lucky for us, some previous owner had enlarged that hole to hand-size.

The "racing modification" is a cutout on the bottom side of the
car. This allows easy access for feeding the spline on the driveshaft
into the hole in the tranny.

Roger

     >>And now I say "very odd indeed". For all the times
     I've had Redcar apart, never much problem replacing the
     driveshaft. Just lobe the front U-joint (which you
     should do anyway), so that it is tight & doesn't flop
     around. Then with the tranny in neutral, feed the
     driveshaft from the back into the tunnel at such an
     angle that the yoke will contact the tranny output
     shaft. When you feel them touch, begin turning the
     driveshaft slowly until the splines mesh & it slides
     home. Works every time, but you've gotta have the
     touch ..... ;-) Which obviously someone at one time
     didn't, as when I pulled up the carpet long ago I found
     that my tunnel had been modified with a torch to facilitate
     driveshaft maintenance and/or maintenance. So that's
     where all the heat's coming from......<<

          cheers-
               dstone@sc9.intel.com