exhaust blues and Jon's vibration

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: exhaust blues and Jon's vibration
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 91 10:04:25 EDT
        I have been trying to get an exhaust pipe for
a 74,74,76 model year spitfire 1500.  It seems impossible to
get one of these beasts anymore. (I tried TRF,
Brit. Vic., and a host of my usual local sources) The best
anyone could do was a two piece stainless steel thing from
TRF which was not in stock and hasn't been for quite some
time.  The alternative is to use an earlier pipe (prior to 74
spit. mark IV pipe), but this does not have the stove box on
it.  I know for a fact (personal experience!) that the carb
will not work well without its hot air supply.  Any suggestions
on where I can get this pipe?  As a second choice, can i get
a get a hot air box and put it on the earlier pipe?  The people
i've talked to think my only chance is to find someone who still
has it on the shelf.

        Jon, about the vibration problem; can you give more
information?  Does the car vibrate at any other mode of operation?
What happens if you run the engine to 3500 or so
with the car out of gear?  Does the vibration stop when you are
moving if the clutch is disengaged?  etc. etc.  If it was the
fault of the flywheel, it would seem that the car should vibrate
while standing still if you rev the engine to 3500 - 4000 rpm.

        As always, any advice is greatly appreciated...
        Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu