Wales trip

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Wales trip
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.colorado.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 91 09:17:20 mdt
By popular demand... well, one person asked, anyway... Here's a brief
report on my trip to Wales.  It's brief primarily because we didn't
do much car-related stuff, but there were a few things.

The highlight from an automotive viewpoint was the Motor Museum at
Betwys-y-Coed, a village east of Mt. Snowdon.  The museum was small
but of very high quality.  The collection included a 1934 Aston Mk.2,
an early 50's Silver Wraith (I think), a couple of Morgan 3-wheelers,
and the very interesting Riley MPH.  The Riley is a prewar sports car
which looks a lot like a prewar MG but lower.  It had very nice lines.
There was also a 1934 Bugatti coupe, which is unlike anything I've
ever seen before.  It's indescribable except to say that it is long,
low, very period, very French, and has the most incredible front
fenders.  There were a number of British motorcycles and an exquisite
Maserati 3500 GT Superleggera.  Best of all, the admission was only
80p and the proprietor was pleasant to talk cars with.

For those who haven't been there, I'll mention that the British have
a different idea about what constitutes a main highway.  For example,
the A5 runs through Betwys-y-Coed.  It is the main link between
London and N. Ireland via Holyhead ferry.  It's two lanes wide
between kerbs, no shoulders, buildings right up to the traffic
lanes in places.  People park wherever they wish, and the traffic
just goes around.  Lesser roads are even more interesting, some were
so narrow between hedgerows that we could just get our toes out of
the way standing with our backs to the hedge when we were walking
and a car came by.

North Wales is beautiful country, although it is definitely not in
a state of nature.  There are lots of rugged mountains (even by
Colorado standards), lovely lakes, and many, many sheep.  We did a
lot of walking and rode two of the many vintage narrow-gauge railroads.
We also didn't hear an American accent for an entire week.  Americans
apparently don't go to Wales.  That's a mistake.

A word about beer.  We drank beer nearly every night, since we were
eating in pubs.  When it was available, we drank the Real Ale.  I
was a bit disappointed.  Generally the ales had a little less flavor
than I am used to here (guess that tells you something about my choices
here).  McEwans 80s and Wm.Younger's IPA turn out to be the same
thing according to the "Good Beer Guide" although they tasted quite
different to me.  Suzanne had something called Burton's one time
which I think was the best we had.

Another thing which might interest you is the slate quarry we visited.
The machine shop was right out of the Industrial Revolution.  It was
originally powered by a 50 foot water wheel, which was still running
but not driving anything.  In the 1920s it was replaced by a Pelton
wheel.  The wheel drives a shaft in the top of the shop, which then
drives all the machinery with belts.  Most of the machinery was not
in use - this quarry is now a museum - but it was quite impressive
nonetheless.  How about a 22 foot lathe, or a 30-some inch face lathe?
There was also a full casting floor with molds set out as if ready to
cast.

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'll admit that we got around
by bus and train with very little inconvenience.

I spotted surprisingly few interesting vehicles.  There sure are a lot
of small cars of various sorts, smaller than most of what we get here.
I might enjoy a Ford Fiesta XR2, for example.  I did see a new Lotus
Elan cruising through Betwys-y-Coed, and a Seven parked on the street
in Windsor.

In all, it was a very good trip.

Wayne