Re: axle nut torque values

To: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Re: axle nut torque values
From: Andy.Banta@eng.sun.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 91 09:44:41 EST

T. J. Higgins asks:
> In my shop manual, I can't find a torque value for the Alpine's axle
> nuts (the nuts that hold the hub onto the axle).  When my dad and I
> put the hubs from the parts car on, we basically tightened them as
> tight as we could get them.  This turned out to be about 120 ft-lbs,
> using a low-budget Sears torque wrench.  Should these nuts be torqued
> to a specific value, or just as tight as we can get them?

You don't mention if this is front or rear.  JZ and I had the same
question come up on the rear hub retaining nuts on his bugeye
yesterday.  I kinda shrugged stupidly because Haynes recommended
driving the 8-sided nuts on with a hammer on the early B axle.
The sprite clearly had a six-sided nut and Jeffie had a socket that
fit it.

When he dug through notes supplied to him with the car, they
recommended 125 ft*lbs.  We translated this to "secure."  I'd guess
the alpine would be somewhere in the same ball park.

andy
banta@abingdon.sun.com