Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line

To: OSP13@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:18:51 EST
I wrote:
> As opposed to playing music, reading an autocross course is important to
> keep you from making mistakes.  You might like to drive a certain line, but
> it's gravely.  Or, as in the case of a particular recent decreasing radius
> right-hander, you won't be sucked in to an apex at an angle that's 45-75
> degrees off of the angle you need to actually make the rest of the corner.
> A certain amount of conscious thought was required ... unless you just have
> impeccable instincts
 >> that never let you down.

Rich responded:

> The first time you see these things
> requires some
> conscious decision making. After you have seen them
> a few times, you can internalize it. After that you can
> see gravel and avoid it without thinking about it.
> Given that there is always something new to learn,
> thinking about what you are going to do is not a
> bad thing provided you are not giving yourself things

There are some things you DO need to consciously remember.  I helped design
the course, gave the novice walkthrough, and in the 2nd run group I promptly
dove down to the apex, way too tight, on my first run.  I managed to stay out
by consciously thinking about it on runs 2 & 3.  The rest of the course was
more easily read by just looking ahead.

Charlie