Re: Rules regarding stock stuff..

To: Jake Hodges <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules regarding stock stuff..
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
Jake,
Before I took a saw to anything I'd make sure that the roof does in
fact flex less with the top on. I've heard (in the case of t-top mr2s)
that having the tops in really doesn't do too much to add rigidity. I
would assume this is true because a lot of the removable roofs have a
lot of rubber insulation to make them not leak, and thus allow a lot of
room for flex.

To check this maybe tie some strings taut from one corner to the other
with the roof off and have a friend ride along with you and watch them.
If the strings dip significantly enough in the corners to show that
there's more than 1/2 inch of flex or so (or whatever you believe is
the maximum that it could flex with the roof on), then start thinking
about alternatives.

Granted I think you are dealing with a targa top type (not the t-tops
like the mr2), but you'd still want to be absolutely sure you are in
fact solving the problem by cutting a hole in your roof.

Also, using the "i'm not fast enough of a driver" excuse is kinda mute.
If you aren't that fast of a driver the extra rigidity won't make you
significantly faster.

Randy