Re: Rules regarding stock stuff..

To: Jake Hodges <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rules regarding stock stuff..
From: Kenneth Allan Mitchell <nokones@kenmitchell.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:47:46 -0700
Before you get the hacksaw out and start hacking away, you better be
sure that you are getting the absolute official ruling on the rule. This
forum is not the official ruling on the rules, it is far from it.

Let's say that you get a response that someone says, yes its legal for
stock to do that modification. Are you sure the answer is right? Are you
going to start hacking away on your car because some genius on this list
says it is legal? Be careful, this list has a lot of geniuses that know
nothing and probably haven't autocrossed more than once or twice in
their life. Why not invest in an official rule book for approx. 12-15
dollars and read up on the rules yourself so you know. It would be a
good investment to read on the modification that you are inquiring
about.

The reason why I bring this up, about 10 years ago or so, a fellow
competitor in ESP was told by a genius a particular modification was
legal to do in Street Prepared so he has the mod done. He shows me his
new trick go-fast mod which I pointed out that it was illegal to do
that. It even says so in the rule book which he did not own. He didn't
read the book first and spent a lot and I mean a lot of money on this
mod/setup.

In most cases an illegal go-fast cheater part can be removed/unbolted
but when you hack away at something, in most cases it won't be legal to
fix/restore at least for Stock or Street Prepared. This was the case
with this competitor, he couldn't legally fix/undo the modification
because even that procedure would have been illegal, according to the
rules. Essentially, his car was of no value as an autocross car in Stock
or Street Prepared. He could only drive the car as his grocery getter or
run in Prepared or OSP. We never saw him again.

So, be very careful before you modify the car beyond the rules. The only
official ruling on the rules is the Solo Events Board and you even have
to be careful with that process unless the rule in the rule book is
clear.

--
Kenneth Allan Mitchell
mailto:nokones@kenmitchell.com