RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Potential new helmet rule would

To: "Kevin Stevens" <autox@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Potential new helmet rule would
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:10:01 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-autox@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-autox@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Kevin Stevens
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 5:53 PM
To: Matt Murray
Cc: NER; evolution-discussions; .Team.Net; NER Solo postings
affect autocrossers

On Nov 17, 2004, at 17:46, Matt Murray wrote:

> All true, but the fact remains that a supplemental restrain
> System (SRS) or "airbag" delivers a tremendous amount of energy
> in a small area. My guess is that the SRS will break that part of
> the helmet and force it towards your jaw.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe this for a minute.  I absolutely do not
believe that an airbag deployment can break the chin protector of a
full-face helmet under any imaginable circumstances.  I've destroyed
helmets with sledgehammers - it's a very good workout.

My assumption, which I freely admit may be wrong somehow, is that they
are saying the airbag forces the chin protector element into the jaw
hard enough to break it (basically rotating the helmet forward on your
head).  My previous comments apply to that scenario.

KeS
**
 I second the "...I don't believe it ..." comment. Also; any helmet that
would break in the chin area when hit by an air bag is a REALLY crappy
helmet and not likely SCCA legal. I could MAYBE believe this with some
really old fiberglass helmets (old like in 30+ years) but not anything
with a currently accepted Snell rating. I also had not thought of the 2
helmet problem when switching cars. I rarely drive SRS equipped cars,
but don't like the idea of having to buy a different or use an
unfamiliar helmet if I "guest drive" one, like rookie instruction runs
for example.
This whole thing sounds like a solution to a problem that no-one has
verified actually exists; IOW, just a cool theory.

        Bruce