Re: 1972 BMW 2002 Classing

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1972 BMW 2002 Classing
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:03:50 -0500
Ken Adamson wrote:

>  I think the ti had twin Solex sidedrafts.

Yes, and that model was never sold in the US due to noncompliance
with our emissions regulations.

> There was, in fact, a VERY small number of cars imported to the
US that had 5spd
> transmissions in them.

I am confident that the above statement is incorrect. If any
5-speed 2002s made it into the US, I would wager it was through
"grey market" channels. Emissions-legality was an issue here as
well: the cost of certification would have been substantial, and
for for relatively few potential sales.

> there is a small chance that it's an original 2002
transmission.

Even if it is, you'll need to find documentation - factory sales
brocures for US models, factory shop manual for US models, etc. -
that 5-speed 2002s were available in the US in order to be
protest-proof in Street Preapred.

Jay