Re: 1972 BMW 2002 Classing

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1972 BMW 2002 Classing
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:59:38 -0500
Ken Adamson wrote:

>I think I can run STS with it, and I think most everything
checks out, but
>I'm not sure about the carbeurator.

US-market 1972 BMW 2002s came from the factory with a
single-barrel Solex carburetor, an engine-driven "smog pump," and
an exhaust manifold with air inlets for each cylinder .The odds
are close to zero that either of the first two items is still on
(or even with) the car you bought, and the air inlets on the
exhaust manifold will almost certainly be plugged. To be legal in
STS, you'd have to have a complete and functional smog pump and
an unmodified original carb. Good luck finding either, and
fuggedabout finding any information on making it all work as
designed (which was pretty miserable).

The short answer is that you will not find a 2002 of that vintage
that is legal for Stock or STS. Furthermore, making one legal for
either of those caterories will be prohibitively expensive, if
not impossible.

If you want an STS-legal 2002, you need to start with a 1973.
Beginning that year, BMW revised the combustion chamber design,
fitted a 2-barrel Solex (with a different intake manifold), and
did away with the smog pump. 1973-1974 engines had the
designation "E12" cast into the cylinder heads (yours will have
"121" or "121ti" if it has the correct head). Too bad you no
longer have update/backdate in STS, or you could convert the car
you bought. As the rules now stand, you'll have to buy a 1973 or
later car.
:<(

>I think it's the stock carb,

Nope. None of them came with a Weber carb.

>but I'll
>eventually want to change it to twin wide-throat Webers, and
eventually swap
>in the Getrag 5-speed.

Never available in US-market 2002s.

> I think I go to FSP,

Not legal there with the 5-speed. You'll be in SM.

>since it's a transmission from
>a 320i,

Not on the same line as the 2002 in Appendix A, therefore not a
legal update/backdate.

>and I believe there was a factory engine variant with the twin
>Webers.

Never available in the US, but it doesn't matter in SP, since the
induction system is unrestricted.

Jay