Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:13:47 -0500
> I cannot recall seeing a start, ANY start, where I did not want to "set
up"
> where I wanted to start from in order to maximize whatever was the first
> obstacle down the course. Even if I set up in the middle, I did it
> purposefully, not just because that's where I ended up being.

If a setup involves driving to the line and stopping, I see no problem.
What I have seen that can cause a huge  backup is where there is time to be
gained by backing into the starting position.  Pull forward past the line,
back into position, roll back forward to the line.  This is the 15 second
setup I was talking about.

> And starts every 15-20 seconds? Yow! That's pounding them through. Faster
> than the Nationals standard, which is 25 seconds (ignore this year, it was
> special circumstance). But I'd submit what is necessary to start cars that
> frequently is not a straightline start, but a course design that does NOT
> turn back upon itself within the first 20 seconds, which would make you
wait
> for a car to be out of the way before sending the next one. Or a course
> which has some point on it at which car A must pass before car B can
arrive
> forcing you to hold the start to ensure that happens. On small lots, that
> ain't so easy.

Yes, it is pounding them through.  With us pushing through 200 people with 4
runs each, that is what it takes.  Fortunately, Atlanta is blessed with good
lots and great course designers.

Dave Hardy
89 SM