Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:48:18 -0600
> You can change/fix it between run groups, per the rulebook.

Only if you run strictly by class. The entire class runs in one group, then
the class is done. There was a course change (because of a pothole) at
Nationals this year done between heats. But when the pothole developed, that
heat concluded before they made the change. Next day, hole repaired, they
changed the course back again.

Out here in Middle America, where 120 cars is a big event, we tend to run
you whenever you feel like running, or whatever heat you sign up for. I may
be in heat 5. My competitors in the same class may be heat 2, 4 and 7, one
each.

Given that methodology, once your course is set, it pretty well has to stay
set. I *have* seen changes, but they are always changes that do not effect
anything anyone has already done. Not fair to insert that conewall if
someone has already used a line (purposely or not) that went beyond the
wall. Either he had a good line denied others, or he didn't get the cone
penalty others will draw with the same error.

OTOH, if someone asks, after two heats have been run, "Hey can I go outside
there and take a running shot at the lights?" I see no problem with a "no"
answer and something done to prevent it, either by obstacle [cones] or by
announcing the rule to all right then, IF no one has already done it.

Also this caveat -- the safety steward sees something patently unsafe after
the event has started, he MUST do something about it and if that requires a
course change, so be it. I've seen that happen where it was early enough
they just basically started the event over.

--Rocky