Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:22:54 -0600
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>

>I don't want to burn up the tires, and I especially don't
>want to burn up the clutch.

Clutch, heck.  I just blew up a halfshaft on the Lotus launching at an
autocross.

>If
>the start permits a drag start, it REQUIRES a drag start to be actively
>participating in the event.

Bingo.

>Drag starts have a disproportionate effect on the outcome of an event.
>The production of this effect incurs a disproportionate degree of wear on
>the car.  The execution of a successful drag start involves skills that
>have nothing to do with any other component of autocross driving, and
>nothing to do with the stated purpose of Solo II.
>
>Just to be clear, I don't like drag starts.  ;)

I'm with you all the way.   So all you Triumph folks out there, enter the
2002 VTR National Convention autocross with confidence:  There will be NO
drag-race start.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org