Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too

To: "Roger Johnson" <rjohnson@ghg.net>, "Team. Net"
Subject: Re: Acceptable finish designs, and starts, too
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:07:34 -0600
From: Roger Johnson <rjohnson@ghg.net>

>So if you look at my Nationals/Tour/Div designs you will notice the last
>100' are ALWAYS a straight.  I then allow 200' of stop box.  Of course,
>this is not always possible, (thinking northeast U.S. postage stamp size
>lots), but I always try to find a way.  This allows every competitor to
>floor it at the finish which is *always* a satisfying feeling.

I have been an advocate of this line of thinking for 30 years.  The
proverbial "tight as possible" turn at the end has not been the boon to
safety that its instigators had hoped.

On the other end of things, I like to put in a good stiff move before the
timing-start line.  This eliminates the need to launch the car like you were
at a drag race.  I realize this is part of the game at Pro Solo events, but
it would not break my heart if I never saw one again at a regular autocross.
The other upside to the tight move before the timing-start line is that it
takes away all all the worry about precision staging at the marshaling line.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org