Re: NOS in Street Modified

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: NOS in Street Modified
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:03:24 -0700
On Friday, April 27, 2001, at 06:33 AM, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> Hmm.... I was pretty sure we had something on the books (or maybe in a
> FastTrack clarification) that said that nitrous equipment (lines,
> solinoids, nozzles, etc) was legal, but that the *bottle* was not - so a
> fully-functioning nitrous system is illegal.
>
> The main issue being safety, concerning bottle mounting, bottle
> handling,
> and so on. A bottle explosion is not something we want to deal with.

Bottle explosions are not your only worry. We had a Honda drag
racer-type show up at an event a few years ago with N2O installed.
Rather than making him remove the bottle (this was before the current
rules) we simply asked him to not use it. Well he didn't listen hit the
N20 switch and about 2/3rds of the way through his run, BANG!, his
engine exploded like a grenade. Needless to say it made a mess, both of
the track and of his engine compartment (he put a hole clean through his
block) and we never saw him again.

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                               home:
adahl@eskimo.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                       work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~adahl          ICQ 52688023