RE: Solo Entry Fees

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Solo Entry Fees
From: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:11:44 -0600
Bill Fuhrman said:

> Interesting idea.  Do you preprint the classes or events on them?  If not,
> how do you add that information?

We leave them "generic".  They are printed with the number 1, 2, 3 or 4 on them.
I think Salina Region writes the event date on theirs with a permanent marker.
Only the special trophies we do for our big event (the annual River Festival
Solo) and our end-of-season trophies have such indentification on them.

> Unfortunately, I couldn't display them on my plastic car.  Even more
> unfortunately, my driving would prevent me from having them.

I had the same problem with my Saturn, but the people who have steel bodied cars
seem to enjoy them.  (the Saturn is for sale, by the way:
http://home.kscable.com/shad/saturn/ )

> Not being able to replace/repair equipment is not "getting by".  It is just
> living a slow death.

Agreed.  Such is certainly not what I intend to propose to my Board of
Directors.

> Eventually events will suffer because of problems.  At that time, people
> will not want to pay more for a problem event and you will need to raise the
> fees a lot more because equipment will need to be purchased on short notice.

That is exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid.

> Many "nonprofit" clubs seem to have a psychological block against having
> some money in the bank to cover non-event expenses and to provide a buffer
> between expenses and income times.

Our club doesn't seem to have a problem with having money in the bank, but there
are some who have major concerns about raising our entry fees.  They are
concerned that we could make our sport inaccessible to some people by raising
the entry fee by $5.  As several have mentioned here, $5 one way or the other
isn't going to stop the typical Soloist.  Even running on cheap street tires as
I do, I still spend considerably more on tires than I do on entry fees.  And,
like most people, I'd rather pay a little more for an entry and get a better
"product".

--
Loren Williams  | Loren@kscable.com
'96 Mazda Miata | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca