Re: The REAL Issue

To: "Team.net Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The REAL Issue
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:54:03 -0500
> Evolution wasn't desired by the SP competitors who answered the survey,
> though we did wait 'til '92-93 to do the survey, and by my reckoning, that
> was too late.

I don't know if it was too late, but the reaction by the members of SP was
predictable. And that response indirectly led to the ST and SM classes. If
SP had decided to adjust with the times, you might've ended up with a class
somewhere between SP and SM, but still called SP. However, I can definitely
understand anyone's desire to protect their investment by not forcing
expensive (at least, more so than it is already) upgrades to stay even.

> Do you really think Hillborn is as good as Electromotive?  I don't think
> anyone ever used it in Solo 2, other than Tommy Saunders BSP Corvette
which
> might have used the Hillborn stacks with a Haltech ECU (or something like
> that...)  In any case, there was nothing like the current stuff available
in
> '83...

I would HOPE Electromotive is better, it's more than 20 years newer.

My only point was that fuel injection existed that was better than stock
fuel injection, or carbs, in '83, but that injection was still in excess of
Prepared rules. The same condition existed then, the gap has just gotten
wider  over the years.

I remember seeing 275/60-15 Hoosier Autocrossers on 15x12 wheels on the back
of Dennis Reihle's ESP Camaro back in '86, a mere three years afterwards.
That same wheel yeilds a 50# penalty on the same car in Prepared.

Mike CP58