Re: STS Tire Rules

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:51:09 -0600

Steve Hoelscher wrote:

> For those that think because Roger doesn't run STS he has no place
> commenting on it, think again.  Assuming STS achieves national status at
> some point, an STS protest will land in the lap of The Chief of Protest, and
> this past Nationals, that was Roger.  It will be his charge to deal with it.
> In its present state, the street tire rule is un-enforceable.  So how is the
> protest committee supposed to deal with it?  This places the PC in the
> impossible situation of trying to enforce the un-enforceable.  (Not far from
> the stock ECU problem)  No matter how the PC rules, it will find itself
> buried in controversy.  I would not want to find myself in such a situation.

I have come to understand what you're saying here (thanks Roger, et. al.),
but there's still one thing that's not quite clear to me.  How is the
Stock/SP "DOT approved" rule any more enforcable than the STS "140
treadwear" rule?  In either case, if a tire that appears to be legal
(carries a DOT stamp or a 140 treadwear stamp) is protested, and there are
no obvious indications that it is a cheater tire (different tread pattern
from other tires of the same model, for instance), the PC has no choice but
to declare the tire legal.  Why is  the situation more relevant when it's
STS?

> To ignore the pitfalls of the street tire rule and press on with "National
> Status" will make a mockery of rules and their enforcement.  This will
> affect more than just STS and that is why others think it is in their best
> interest to comment.

I think we have to accept that there are things that we just can't afford
the expense of regulating in this sport.  As difficult as it may be to do
at National level, some things may just have to be left to the trust and
good sportsmanship of the competitors.  Tires and ECU's are good examples.
I'm sure there are others... anybody want to talk about fuel?  What would
the PC do if a stock class driver's fuel were protested?

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca