re: F1 at Indy .... Observation

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: F1 at Indy .... Observation
From: "Tony Ford" <EGFord@mazakcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:45:17 -0400
I can echo your sentiments about the race yesterday. Seeing the actual cars
made them seem larger-than-life for me. I was sitting in the Southwest Vista
just before the turn-in for turn 13. The cars would come off of turn 11 and
floor it and start shifting. As they revved and shifted, their engines made
notes that were individual to each manufacturer, quite different from the TV
sounds. And they kept them floored! I counted 28 seconds of flat-out
acceleration around the banking. That takes some guts.
One very interesting observation: thru turn 13 Mika and Michael used a
completely different line than the rest of the field. Their turn-in point was
the same but they didn't turn in as far. The field ran all the way down to the
apron, right on the white line and then let the cars drift out to the wall of
the front straight. Mika and Michael ran a car width higher(6-8 feet) and their
apex wasn't as distinct. Their finishing point was the same as well.  Only
thing I can figure is that they weren't scrubbing off as much speed running the
larger radius turn. After Mikas misfortune, Michael started to cruise and did
place his right side wheels in the tracks of the left side wheels of the
competition. Mika and Michael were/are obviously the fastest and it's evidently
these sorts of details that make them that way.
A most impressive drive by Michael Schumacher, though Mika was catching him
before his engine let go. Mika pulled off close to the Ferrari pits. I was
worried they would douse the McLaren's flames with gasoline!
By the way, my tix were free.