Re: The HP nationals trend

To: "Team.net Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The HP nationals trend
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:42:58 -0400
> The British (and most of the small European makes) have dissappeared and
the
> Japanese have caught on to the fact that not all American buyers are
looking
> purely at mpg figures when looking at the rice burners.  Hence the third
gen
> RX-7s, Supras, Subaru Imprezas and Z-cars.

When were the last 3rd gen RX-7s and Z-cars?

I don't seem to see any new ones....... Maybe because they were over
$40,000?

> The American car companies have figured out that 0-100-0 is not the only
> criteria for pony car buyers tired of being dusted in the twisty sections
by
> Z-cars or Supras or Honda Civics.  Suspension technology has improved a
tad
> over the past decade or so :-)

A tad. The FS favorite still uses a solid axle. A 2000 Camaro has a LOT in
common with a 1976 Chevy Monza.

> The ultimate autocrosser is good HP in a small good handling package (ala
> Lotus 7, or Elan).  Factor in the basic reliability and relative abundance
> of parts for the F-bodies and Mustangs, is it any surprise that so many
wind
> up autocrossing?  The appeal of right foot steering has many of us
> adolescents drooling... even us "grown up" ones! :-)

V8 big cars (and trucks) are popular anytime gas is inexpensive relative to
income. Look at the 50's, 60's, and late 80's to present.

The only time small engines are majorly desired is when inexpensive and fuel
economy are more important than the car itself. The 70's and early 80's come
to mind.....

Besides, this is America. Unlike Britain and Japan, we don't live on an
island. We have ROOOOM and lots of it. We want large, powerful, everything.
The current SUV/truck trend is reflective of that. Detroit stops making
large, powerful, cars, so we buy trucks. It makes sense to me.....

You can count the number of rear drive, larger than normal, V8 (or more)
powered CARS made now on one hand. Mustang, Camaro, Crown Vic, Corvette, and
Viper. I'm not counting variations of the same cars. ie; Firebird, and
Lincoln Town Car.

On the other hand, if you look at just Chevy in say, 1967, you had Corvair,
Chevy II, Chevelle, Impala, Camaro, and Corvette. Only ONE of those cars did
NOT have an available V8. In fact, only ONE of those cars didn't have an
optional V8 that would qualify as a Pro Stock motor nowadays, and that ONE
car still had an optional turbo motor........

Who was it that said enough power was being able to spin the rear wheels the
entire length of the longest straightaway?

Ferget these little tin deathtraps and GIMME SOME METAL!!!!!!!! Grunt Grunt
Grunt.......

Mike
yes, I'm in CP... It has 'enough' power.....For now.