RE: The HP nationals trend

To: "Ax List (E-mail)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The HP nationals trend
From: "Eric Buckley" <ejbuckley@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:48:43 -0500
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> It seems that autocrossers are increasingly falling in love with big
> torque and big cars. Take a look at the entries for Nationals in 2000.
>
> As of 9/4/2000 there are 1108 entries. Of those 374 are in classes
> dominated by V8s or big HP cars. That's 33.75% of all the entries.

While I find this post interesting, it also points out the 2/3 of the field
in Topeka will NOT be driving "big" cars. I don't think the idea of the
agile sports car has fallen on hard times. Still lots of Miatas out there.

Perhaps we are just doing a better job of appealing to a broader audience of
enthusiasts. Take away those 374 entries and you still have more "small car"
entries than ever before.

Eric Buckley
7 STR: 98 Integra GSR (only 133 ft-lb of torque, but 31-10 vs. Vettes this
year!)
St. Louis Region