RE: Shock access - am I stupid?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shock access - am I stupid?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:37:07 -0500
> What is the majority opinion:  is the drilling as a fundimental
> act the problem
> or the "weight removal" of holes and the like.  Here is my perspective:

The creation of a hole specifically to make the car faster is the problem.
Without the hole, the person cannot adjust the car as quickly at the event.
In theory, they can make their car faster by adjusting it to the conditions
at the event.  This is an adjustment that was not allowed by the factory or
taken into account when the car was classed.

> If I could drill some sort of beveled hole in which I could
> securely fasten my
> interior trim (cap, panel, whatever) back on in it's original
> spot, would anyone
> consider that illegal?  No illegal holes were drilled to facilitate
> installation, just to get to the adjustment.

Your removable panel would be illegal.  At a local event, no one would care.
At a national event where there is prestige and cash on the line, you
wouldn't want to bet on them not caring.

This is where the speaker loophole comes in.  It IS legal to make holes to
mount speakers.  If your speaker just happens to be in a perfect location to
allow it to be removed and the adjustment made, it doesn't affect the
legality mounting the speaker.

This is a difficulty of writing permissive rules.  Once in a while, someone
finds a creative way to do something that was not intended.

> My RX-7 has two trim pieces that snap off to allow full access to
> the top of the
> rear shocks.  I submit that you could 'engineer' the same thing
> on any car.

The engineering is easy.  However, the car's maker didn't make the
adjustment possible as the car was designed.
Your car maker did.  Mine did.

Two screws that come out with a quarter as a screw driver and two that have
wings for removal without tools allow Koni's adjusting knob to be used to
adjust them.  with a small pliers, they would be adjustable without even
removing the two covers.

However, there is no way to do the fronts without taking the shocks off.
There is no way I could come up with an acceptable reason to put a hole in
the necessary position that would fit the C&C rule.